Friends...

DIStickers.com Ticker

My weight loss goal!

Try the LIVESTRONG.COM calorie counter to start your weight loss journey.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Motivation...

Sometimes, I struggle with motivation. Not what my motivation is, but rather, being motivated to do something. I always start out with really good intentions and typically, the prize at the end is worth whatever it is I have to do to achieve it. You know... like cleaning the house for our home study. If we wanted to be approved, we had to go through the process. Class deadlines. If I want to get good grades and earn my master's degree, I have to do my assignments. Work. If I want to get paid, I have to go. If I want to lose weight and get new clothes :o) I have to exercise and eat well. If I want to have lots of visitors to my blog and make friends, well... I have to BLOG something!

The thing is that I am not always motivated. How about you? Do you ever feel like that? Well, this morning, I jotted down a few fleeting thoughts about this in hopes of blogging about it later. Then, in the middle of our day, we had our first convocation (read: chapel service) of the year, and the speaker talked about VISION. About hit me in the back of the head! LOL! :o) That is totally it! My vision is my motivation, and let's face it, my lack of vision results in my lack of motivation. What does the Bible say about that?

Proverbs 29:18
Where there is no vision, the people perish:
but he that keepeth the law, happy is he.

...or the same verse from The Message:

If people can't see what God is doing,
they stumble all over themselves;
But when they attend to what he reveals,
they are most blessed.



Scary thought, isn't it? It's true, though! When I don't have vision (or motivation), when I can't see what God is doing, I feel like my life is perishing. I find myself stumbling around. Then, that is when I must look back to God and ask Him to reveal HIS vision for me. What He wants me to do. Where He wants me to be.

On the way home for lunch today, I was sitting at a stop light. While the light was still red, I looked in the rear view mirror and quickly snapped a picture with my iPhone. Aren't iPhones great?!? :o) It's not the greatest quality picture, but it reminded me of something I have heard many times before....



...and that is that it is often easier to see God through the rear view mirror than it is to see Him through the windshield. Ok, I know that isn't necessarily the most sound theology. Sometimes, I have, in fact, heard Him speak to me on the front side of things, but I have also found this premise to be true at times. Looking back over my life and experiences, I can see now how God was working, even though I didn't necessarily recognize it at the time.

It is beautiful, though, isn't it? Not just the picture, although I am fortunate to see the beautiful mountains every day! I'm talking about God's work. His hand in our lives, guiding and directing every step, even when life seems messy.

I know I don't want to be a woman who stumbles all over herself... who has no vision... who perishes. I want to be a woman of vision. A woman who attends to what He reveals to me. A woman who is blessed by God's vision for her life.

Over the years, I have definitely had some of my own visions for my life. To be a mother. To be a counselor. To make this recipe... even though the ingredients still sit on my counter a week two weeks after I bought them. To weigh 120 pounds. Stop laughing. I will get there someday! See... I'm motivated! :o) I don't know yet the entirety of God's vision for me, but He is literally speaking bits and pieces into my life right now. Pieces that I am tucking away until I am able to clearly see the whole picture. Or, maybe He will only give me enough for each little step of the way. That would be just like Him, now, wouldn't it!?! :o)

What about you? What vision has God revealed to you? Do share... and don't forget to look in your rear view mirror!

Living in His JOY, HOPE, and PEACE...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You ~Ron

Related Posts with Thumbnails