Friends...

DIStickers.com Ticker

My weight loss goal!

Try the LIVESTRONG.COM calorie counter to start your weight loss journey.

Friday, June 06, 2008

My Virtual SOAP BOX...

I think we are a generation of people who have become accustomed to hiding behind our screens, keyboards, ipods, and cell phones. It's so easy (and perhaps more comfortable?) to avoid meaningful conversation by putting the earbuds in our ears or by reading someone's blog and then just moving on. It's much harder to open up and make yourself vulnerable - even through something as little as a comment others might read. I don't think this is a unique experience. I believe it is a phenomenon we have brought on ourselves. I believe it is widespread. I have seen it on the blogs and websites of countless other people. We all have our hit counters to tell us how many have passed by, but who are they? and where have they gone? why did they come? and why did they silently fade away? Am I the only one who wonders these things? I have noticed that people will respond in MASS numbers when someone is in crisis or on a mission, but in the everyday trials of life, people are content to just go about their own business. It's not unlike what I like to call "THE OBLIGATION SYNDROME" - Someone died? or had a baby? OK, let's send a card, flowers, and food. Let's go to the funeral or the hospital, hurry up and voice our condolences or congratulations, and then get back to our own personal, comfortable life where we don't have to know what others are feeling two weeks later, and we certainly don't have to share what we are feeling ever.

THE GOAL:
You know, I started this blog for a couple of reasons. First, I like to write, and I needed an outlet for some of the things I was feeling. Second, I appreciate the historical value of a journal to keep track of my growth and setbacks. However, I don't like to physically write on paper as much as I used to. Call it a casualty of the computer age we live in. Third, I believed God was calling me to two things - 1. to love Him with all my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and 2. to comfort others with the comfort He has given me. So, I set out in a vulnerable fashion to record my adventure to develop more love for Him and to encourage others through any pain they may be experiencing as well. Finally, a selfish reason I started this blog was to perhaps gain encouragment from others. That has happened to some extent, and I thank all of you who have encouraged me through comments on my postings, through signing my guestbook, through a passing comment in the hallways, or through a prayer I didn't even know you prayed. All are encouraging, although I must admit that I wish there were more "tangible" comments I could see.

THE CHALLENGE:
So, who wants to get vulnerable with me? OK, maybe you don't want to, but who is willing to try? I know it's scary. I know it can be painful. But, it can be a blessing if you let it. I would love to hear if God has used my struggles to teach you something or to encourage you. I would love to know that you are praying for me. I would love to hear how God is working in your life. I would love to hear your hurts so that I know how to pray for you. So, come on... it only takes a click... there it is... Comment! :-)

Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. ~Galatians 6:2

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails