Friends...

DIStickers.com Ticker

My weight loss goal!

Try the LIVESTRONG.COM calorie counter to start your weight loss journey.

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Big Picture...

Recently, I had the privilege to attend a Women of Faith (www.womenoffaith.com/) conference in Charlotte, NC, and God spoke to me through several of the speakers. In the weeks leading up to this trip, I believe He also prepared me with several passages of scripture and tidbits of sermons or books I am reading which stood out to me. I haven't quite put it all together, so excuse me for the rambling and disorder of what I am about to write. Perhaps God will grant me some clarity as I seek to see the big picture of what He is trying to show me. Some of you who know me know that behind my desk at work is a large window overlooking the mountains. Many times, I have said that I wish this gorgeous view was in front of me rather than behind me. Every once in a while, I will remember how privileged I am to witness the spectacular hand of my creator when I look out the window. How often, though, I forget to turn around to look. How like my spiritual journey in that I forget to turn around to look at what He has done in my life, instead focusing on the unpleasant and often messy steps in front of me. Oh, if only I could see the spectacular landscape He is unfolding on the canvas of my life.

I am sincerely and earnestly seeking God's answer to two questions:

~ 1. Does He want me to do a master’s degree in counseling and what would He want me to use it for?

~ 2. Should we continue to do nothing to have a child and just wait or should we actively pursue adopting? I don’t want to move ahead of God, but I don’t want to do nothing if He wants me to do something.

So, in the order He gave them to me, here are the things God has emphasized to my heart these last few weeks (my emphasis added in bold). Feel free to comment any insights He may give you...


  • In her book, When I Lay My Isaac Down, Carol Kent (www.carolkent.org/) writes "I had much to learn about heart sacrifices. As defined by the dictionary, a sacrifice is ' an act of offering to a deity something precious, something offered in sacrifice; it's surrender of something for the sake of something else, something given up.' True heart sacrifices involve: identifying something precious to us (our Isaac); letting go of our control over the situation, event or the person as an act of worship; embracing God's love in the process of the release; resting in the outcome, even if in this lifetime we are not allowed to understand the reason behind the need for the sacrifice and the pain involved."
  • 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
  • Women of Faith Pre-Conference - Sandi Patty (www.sandipatty.com/)

    Life is a journey

    1. Reframe
    2. Reclaim : God has not forgotten you
    3. Rename

    Lift your eyes unto the hills where your help comes from.

    Give anyone you touch HOPE!
    There is STRENGTH, HOPE, POWER in the name of the Lord.
    Blessed is he who comes in the NAME of the LORD.
  • Women of Faith Pre-Conference - Patsy Clairmont (www.patsyclairmont.com/)

    God has imprinted our highest calling on our desires. These desires are validated by:

    1. others
    2. open doors

    ... and I will add, validated most importantly, by God's Word

    GIDEON - the Lord is with you, mighty man of valor

    - not what Gideon was, but rather...
    - what Gideon would become.

    "Have I not sent you?"
    "I will be here when you return"

    Perspective ~ Balance ~ Insight Judges 6

    the Israelites:

    - carved out "hiding places" (I have too...)
    - were greatly impoverished (so am I...)
    - cried out to the Lord in "relinquishment"

    Battlecry: The Sword of the LORD and Gideon!
  • Women of Faith - (http://www.womenoffaith.com/)
    ***Disclaimer*** I'm sure the next part won't make much sense to anyone but me, but in looking at the big picture, it helped me to include everything and to leave nothing out. So, here goes...

    Chonda Pierce
    The last puzzle piece...

    Sheila Walsh
    Dare to Live. You don't have to hide anymore

    Thelma Wells
    A stuck zipper...

    Patsy Clairmont
    M.O.V.E. Be ready to do what it is He is asking
    - it is often a risk to trust God

    Jennifer Rothschild
    "God might not heal you here on earth because you might love it too much and heaven is much better."

    Marilyn Meburg
    The Master Plan

    Ephesians 3:18-19 that you may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

    Is your life the way you planned it? (no, not really...)

    1. We are loved beyond our comprehension
    2. Ephesians 2:10 We are His masterpiece
    Ephesians 1:4 The Plan is His

    Sometimes God allows what He hates to produce what He loves

    3. Trust Him for the part of the plan we do not understand and do not like

    Deut. 29:29
    Eccl. 11:5
    Prov. 3:5
    Rom. 8:28

Well, as the famous cartoon character says, "That's all folks." At the beginning of this post, I said I would ramble on... and I have... for quite a while now. The posting date may be earlier in November, but it is actually now November 23, Thanksgiving Day, at 10:29 p.m. I am in Romania with my husband visiting his family. This long awaited and much needed vacation has finally afforded me the chance to finish this post. I have not put all the pieces together yet, but I am waiting and listening for what He wants to tell me and teach me next. I am expecting great things.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails