Friends...

DIStickers.com Ticker

My weight loss goal!

Try the LIVESTRONG.COM calorie counter to start your weight loss journey.

Monday, January 03, 2011

1.1.11

I know that the day has passed, the mark of a new year, but I could not let it go without saying some things.

To begin with, the repetition of numbers... I think it is kind of neat, and it tells me something. A number of years ago, I recall someone talking about numbers meaning something in relation to God. I don't remember everything that was said, but I do remember talking about sets of three numbers. Like 3-3-3 reminding us of the Trinity. Or 7-7-7 reminding us of God's perfection. I have remembered this often since then, and when I see numbers in triplicate, it always draws my attention in that moment back to God. Well, except if the number is 6. That one is not so good. It can happen so unexpectedly, though, and it makes me realize that God is with me and watching over me.




Like I said. Reminders. Random times. Random places.

The other thing I wanted to talk about is Jeremiah 29:11. I mentioned this verse a few weeks ago, and since then, I have tried to write about it no less than five times. Complete posts which, for some reason, God would not allow me to publish. One was too bitter. One was theologically incorrect. One was waaayy too long and involved. So, let's see how short and sweet I can make this. :o)

For I know the plans I have for you,"
declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future.



When I was a teenager, I loved this verse. Over the years, though, my perspective became shaded by my experiences, and I felt like God's plans could not prosper me or give me hope. I felt harmed and without a future. What I have discovered, though... in short, is that like the Israelites to whom God was speaking in this verse, I was looking for God to fulfill MY plans MY way rather than allowing Him to work out HIS plan that He knows is best for me.

In the King James version of this verse, the last line which refers to hope and a future is translated as an expected end. I thought about that for awhile and compared it to the faith that is spoken of in Hebrews... that refers to what we hope for... what we trust in. What I discovered was that what we expect... what we hope for... what we trust in... should not be our idea of how we want things to happen. Not a set of perfect circumstances. Not a job. Not success. Not health. Not a baby. Rather, it is a person. Jesus Christ. Honestly, that is difficult for me. Not because I doubt Him, but because I struggle to separate my expectations from my experiences. I am working on it, though, and I guess that is all I have to say about that.

I hope that all makes sense.

Regarding our adoption, I am still praying that God would bring us a child. Humanly speaking, there is not much hope for that to happen, but He has not said no, so I am still asking. We have a little more than 5 months remaining on our 30-month contract. Maybe this will be the year.

"Father, if you are willing,
take this cup from me;
yet not my will, but yours be done."

Luke 22:42

I pray that you will all have a blessed new year, fully expecting God to do amazing things in your life. Not expecting an event, but expecting HIM!


1 comment:

Stephanie Harbin said...

Thank you. I often need to be reminded that it is His will and not mine...God Bless your socks off in 2011!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails