Friends...

DIStickers.com Ticker

My weight loss goal!

Try the LIVESTRONG.COM calorie counter to start your weight loss journey.

Thursday, May 06, 2010

I'm so dizzy, my head is spinning...

Alternately titled: "Doesn't my eyeshadow look awesome?!?!?" or... "One of the best days I have had in awhile!"

Yesterday was a really good day! The goodness (humanly speaking) started when I went to the physical therapist to see if we could do something about my dizziness. The appointment went very well and I really liked the doctor. He had a good sense of humor which typically makes any doctor's appointment a little more enjoyable. :-) I did discover a couple of things about myself in the course of the appointment.

1. I like to talk a lot at doctor's appointments and I have a hard time not moving around. Always on the move. Hence, why MRIs are not my favorite thing in the world.

2. I'm special! The doctor said that in 12 years of practice, he has never seen anyone with three canals in their ears affected by this dizziness thing I've got going on... until ME! Yep, I am indeed special! :o)

3. I've got rocks (crystals) in my head! Ha! You always knew there was something wrong with me, didn't you?!? ;o)

The doctor started by trying to replicate the experience of me being dizzy by having me lie down while he held my head in a certain position (back, right) that I know causes it. At first, it wasn't happening. So, he put a pair of goggles on me (I know this is so weird!) that blocks out the light because light entering a person's eyes can help you manage your balance. The goggles were also a piece of equipment that put your eye up on a computer screen that he had in the room, so that he could observe what was happening. High tech, huh?!? I thought it was really cool, anyway, and another person in the office was kind enough to take video and pictures with my iPhone of what was happening on the screen! Actually, my first thought when I saw my eye before he closed off the goggles to block out the light was that my eyeshadow looked really cool! LOL! :o) Anywho. I'll tell you what he found, and then I'll show you what happened. Consider this your warning. If you are grossed out by anything medical, I recommend you NOT click on the video below. Have you ever seen The Exorcist? Um, yeah...

So, a little anatomy lesson. There are three canals on each side of your inner ear, and sometimes, crystals (not a professional site, but pretty good information) can form in the canals and cause problems with dizziness when you move your head. That is my brief, lay explanation. So, like I said before, the doctor was able to pinpoint that three of my canals were affected, and then he was able to do some maneuvers to fix the problem. Like when he replicated the effect I was experiencing, he had me lie down, and then he held my head in several positions for a minute or two each to get the crystals to move from where they are into a vestibule (a holding place, of sorts, inside your ear) where they will then be absorbed and eliminated by your body. Crazy, isn't it?!?!? It kind of looks like this...


See the Membranous Labyrinth? That is the canal on the bottom which was affected, and what he had to do was get the crystals on the bottom up to the top so that they could spill out into the little reservoir just to the right. I know, I'm not a doctor, so don't expect my explanations to be as good as a doctor's.

So, I know you are just dying to see evidence of what this looks like when I get dizzy and the room spins! Like I said before, you have been CAUTIONED. If you get grossed out, DON'T watch!!! This is what happens to your eyes when the crystals in your inner ear begin to bounce all around...




Freaked out, now? Lol! :o)

I am happy to say, though, that the maneuvers this doctor did for me helped! I need to go back for him to work on the other two affected canals, because if he had done more than one at a time, he would have undone what he had just done. For now, though, it is MUCH better, and I am so grateful to have a little relief. In the meantime, I have to sleep elevated a little bit, and D.T. and I switched sides of the bed because I should not be sleeping on my right side for now, and I always sleep facing out in the bed.

On to the other good things that happened yesterday!!!

First of all, Best Buy replaced our computer! We got a brand new one, and only had to pay for a new extended warranty which is very worth it to us! Praise God!!! Oh, and we even got points on our card for a purchase we didn't have to pay for!

Second, I cheated a bit last night, in that I decided to weigh myself again. I was just kind of curious if, after the adjustments I had just had, I would be more balanced on the Wii Fit body test. Plus, I wondered if I had lost any more weight. You know what??? I lost another 1.1 pounds!!! I was so excited, and it was even late at night when I usually weigh more. So, my total now is 6.4 pounds in 3 weeks! Woohoo!!! Right on target! :o)

Well, I guess that's about it. I think it is more than enough! Praise God... He is SO good!

Ephesians 3:20-21 (New International Version)
Now to him who is able to do
immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine,
according to his power that is at work within us,
to Him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus
throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Living in His JOY, HOPE, and PEACE...

1 comment:

-stephanie- said...

Cool eyeball. Yup, great eyeshadow! :o)

Happy to hear you are getting relief for your dizziness.

Yay for happy posts! :o)

Related Posts with Thumbnails